CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 25, 2008

(In Which I Use Too Many Parentheses)

Feliz Navidad,
Feliz Navidad,
Feliz Navidad,
Prospero año y felicidad!


Okay enough with the singing. Just so you know, I have heard that song more than I needed to ever hear in my life this past holiday season (spanning from around the end of September to uhm. Now.). I thought I would be in a depressed, ugly mood it being Christmas and all without the family. Actually. After the host family switch I have never been happier.. in Ecuador. I love them. I really, honestly do. And not only do I love my host parents but I love their families as well. They are nice, caring, loving, accepting people. And that is just a few adjectives to describe them. Anyways. Recap of the last few days and Christmas.

Loved it.

On Sunday the Rotary Exchange Students had a miniature Christmas party at a restaurant (Crepes and Waffles.. that serves crepes and waffles. Imagine that.). It's actually a chain started by an Ecuadorian guy and they have amazing ice cream with traditional flavors of Ecuador... maracuya being Nik's favorite. I personally like the vainilla the best. Uhm. Incredible. But back to the whole Christmas party thing. So we all brought a gift and then drew names and swapped (super fun). I couldn't think of anything to buy for a gift so I went to the grocery store and got something random. I received German beer from one of the German exchange girls (love her!). Upon returning home my host parents asked and instead of feeling like I should probably not tell them I received beer, I immediately showed it to my host dad who nearly had a heart attack... not because he disapproved but because he was envious. His face was so excited so I ended up giving the beer to him. Just as an explanation my host dad spent seven years in Germany and is fluent in German and pretty much stoked about anything German. At all. So yea. It will be enjoyed.

On Monday Nik, Kaeti, and Ariel (Ariel lives in Ibarra) randomly showed up at my house and convinced me to change out of my pajamas and go do random stuff in Quito. It took a lot of convincing let me tell you. So we took a bus to Quito, ate random lunch (which was huge! and cost 1.60 each. Not bad.), walked around.... and other things. It was really fun. Ariel was in town until Wednesday so we were just basically hanging out and having a blast. That kid is amazing.

Monday night I stayed at Kaeti's with Ariel and we made Mac and Cheese (blue box!) and devoured it. Great! On the way from Quicentro to her house I found a rose on the ground and we had a little too much fun taking random photos with it while watching the noodles. Sleeping arrangements sucked. Period. The three of us were cramped in a twin bed on the small side. Horrid. In the morning I returned to the house around nine-ish after an incredible breakfast of bread from a bakery. It was awesome. I might just have to go back. All the time. We sooo looked like Americans there. After walking aimlessly on one side of the bakery we sat down at one of the tables thinking someone was going to give us menus or something. Nope. You have to approach them. After ten-ish minutes a guy nicely comes up and asks us what we want (Ariel only wanted hot chocolate). She drinks that and we return to the other side to buy cheap bread. But only after looking for like five minutes for the bread basket all the while debating whether we actually needed one or not. Then, after buying it, we proceed to eat it while walking down the street. So not normal for Ecuadorians. And I was wearing shorts. Not acceptable. Not at all.

Which brings us to Tuesday. The girls returned with me (Nik did not because he and Kaeti had skipped school Monday and he couldn't skip again.. Kaeti and I didn't have school). Ariel needed help from my dad on legal stuff or something? so we went and did that. I couldn't find my debit card so I ended up hanging out the rest of the day at my house while Kaeti and Ariel went to Quito for sightseeing. I pretty much crashed in the afternoon, though. Not too exciting.

Wednesday :: aka Christmas Eve. I went with my host parents to visit an aunt? of my host mom's in Quito. A bunch of family arrived as we were there and we hung out for awhile talking and whatnot. Afterwards, my host parents and I went to Guapulo (spelling is horrible but it sounds like that.), basically a colonial church. The visit was very significant because years earlier on Christmas Eve they had taken their own children there (yes, I love them). :) That made my night. After that we headed to another church (their church) where we went to mass. As we walked in there was a choir singing and the voices vibrated throughout the church. It was incredibly beautiful and even more so because I recognised most of the choir members (my cousins). After mass we headed to Pia's and Raffa's house (they are my awesome cousins and neighbors) where we hung out talking and laughing and eating and talking until one in the morning. It was intense.

I went to bed late.

Woke up this morning. Christmas!!! And called my parents. Went downstairs. Ate toast with the Ecuadorian parents. We each opened our present. I got a book on Ecuador!!! In Pictures!! I am so excited!!! It was perfect! My host mom got a pair of earrings and a matching ring. All gorgeous. All. It was a very small celebration but very beautiful and amazing because I was surrounded by people who care for me as much as I care for them. And when it comes down to it, Christmas isn't really about the giving but about being with family. I am happy to note I was not alone. :)

Anyways. Skyped with the entire family (got to see them!). Uhm. Made a lot of rice with my host mom (from now on it will be by first name: Sandra and Ricardo). Went to my aunt's house (Luciana.. sister of my mother). And pretty much just got back. The entire family was there including Pia and Raffa. The entire family. We hung out and watched videos on past Christmas and weddings. It was really cool.

Here is a sort of family tree.

There is my grandfather. He has four daughters :: Luciana, Sandra (my mom), Lori, and Gisella (?). Luciana has three boys. Sandra has Anna Maria (in Belgium) and Jose (in Italy). Lori has.. uhm. At least one daughter, Carmen. Others I am not so sure. Gisella is the mother of Pia and Raffa. Pia and Raffa are close to my age and awesome. I really get along with them great. There are a ton of people that were there today but I do not know names or how they were connected so it really isn't important.

I had a really good time. Really good time.

And on the way home I was told that I was adopted into the family. Okay, it was said by Ricardo but I mean, I guess he has as much authority as a blood relative? I am just assuming marriage gives you that power, too. It still made me incandescently happy.

Tomorrow Pia, Raffa, the parents of those two, my parents, and I are taking a trip to Mindo - jungle-ish - to visit the farm of Pia's family. I am stoked! and tired.

I need sleep.

Merry Christmas :)

anna

0 comments: